Friday, January 4, 2008

Doesn't the word "Caucus" sound kind of dirty?

The Iowa Caucus has come to an end. I have to say, it was a pretty cool experience. There were 4 Democratic precincts so my experience was with the second precinct. We had 200 people show up and they were broken up into groups. You had to have 15% of the total number of people in the room stand for a candidate to make it "viable". Biden only had eight people so they were out early. Those people could join another group or just stay with Biden and not really count for anything.

In the end Edwards had 57 people, Hillary had 56 people, my man Obama had 54 people and Richardson had 30 people. We had 5 delegates so Edwards received 2, and Clinton, Obama and Richardson all recieved 1. In the end Obama won Iowa so I was happy.

The experience was a good one. I really thought the caucuses were a bad way of doing it but after going through it, I kind of enjoyed it. People were not mean or confrontational, they just talked and everyone was pleasant and it gave you a sense of community. Everyone clapped for every other group and it was nice. We were all Democrats after all. I knew almost everyone in the room and it was interesting to see where people stood. It took about an hour and a half but I will participate again. Who knew!

Yesterday was a bit hectic at work but it was expected. I think everything is back under control for today so I am anticipating a quiet Friday. Time will tell.

Drew has a game tonight and so does Jess. The weekend will be busy and I don't get to sleep in even one day. Tomorrow I have to be in Ankeny for my orientation at 8. Sunday we leave at 5:30 for the volleyball tournament. I have a feeling this weekend will fly by.

I plan on taking some pictures and video this weekend but I am promising nothing. I have too often said I would post pictures and failed to follow through. My intent is to do it but you all know how I am.

Hey Mom - Your birthday is just around the corner. Don't think I have forgotten.

Have a great weekend!