Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The year in review and remembering my friend Shelby.

As I rush through my days I find myself getting caught up in the little things and don't often or at least often enough, take the time to reflect. Each year time passes by and we don't always realize all of the events that occured. Today I will reflect on the events, as I can remember them, from last year.

As I remember, the Winter months last year were cold and snowy. I know we had quite a few snow days and the track season got off to a slow start becuase of the weather. The first couple weeks of practice were indoors.

Jess had a stellar year in track. She broke two school records and made it to State in two events. The open 400 and the Sprint Medley Relay which she anchored with a 400.

Shelby passed away right before the state track meet. I took her in to get spade and she died during surgery. It was one of he hardest days of my life. She was part of our family and was my friend. I still think of her and miss her. She will never be forgotten.

The summer was hot and humid. Drew had a solid baseball season and decided to not play all-stars. The coach said he would have been on the team but Drew wanted to have some free time to play with his friends in the nieghborhood.

Jess had her first start on the Varsity in softball. The season was a bit of a dissapointment but she played well. The coach was a mess and resigned at the end of the season. The highlight of the season was when Jess hit the game winning run in a tournament against Urbandale.

We had new neighbors. The Carmicheals. Drew spent the whole year playing with the girls, Courtney and Beth. The family moved out right before Christmas. This new year will bring new neighbors so I hope they have nice kids.

We got a new puppy. Molly. She was a handful at first and very naughty. She has since turned out to be a great dog. She has been a nice addition to my daily routine.

Football season went well. Drew played tight end and defensive end. The team did well but lost a few games. He loves football and was sad when the season was over.

Jess played Varsity volleyball. She played the center position and played front row. She broke a couple school records and was selected second team all conference. Not bad from a team that went 16-15 and finished second to last in the conference.

Basketball has been rough. The girls haven't won a game and Drew's team is about 500. Jess starts Varisty and does a nice job.

Jess tried out for a club volleyball team and was selected. She starts her tournament season this weekend.

In a nutshell that has been the year. I am sure I have forgotten things but there should be a record of it all in my blog postings.

As for today. It is the last day of break and I plan on cleaning things up in the office and taking it easy the rest of the day. Nancy and I deserve a break and today we are going to take it.

Jess had practice yesterday for volleyball and she learned to jump serve. She is excited about the tournament this weekend. The coaches are great with the kids. She blocked on the coaches during the scrimmage yesterday and from across the building another coach, who was coaching his team, yelled "Nichols - YOU ARE A STUD!!!". Jess said her face turned red and she was sooo embarassed.

Drew had his New Years Eve birthday party and the boys had a good time. He slept most of the day yesterday.

The new year is just winding up and I can feel the pressure of the pace starting to quicken. This month is going to be a whirlwind and I hope the weather holds up.