Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Is this a new year or did somebody re-gift last year?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!


The evening ended up being a bit uneventful. Drew had his birthday party and as I type this, I can hear them playing downstairs. I am sure there was very little, if any, sleep done by those boys last night. They will eventually crash and sleep through the day. My guess is that Drew will spend the first day of 2008 sleeping.

Jess had changes in plans last night. Two of the three parties she was planning on attending were cancelled. The third one she didn't really want to go to so she ended up just staying home last night. Personally, I was kind of glad becuase she has been fighting a cold or the flu or something but she has not had much energy and really stuggled to keep up in the scrimmage yesterday. I think the rest did her good. She has two practices today. Basketball at 9 and volleyball at 2.

I am heading to work today. I have a few things that I really want to get done and tomorrow is the last day of break and I need to use these next two days to get ready for the hords to return.

The weather is terrible today, kind of a snow/sleet. The high today is going to be 12 with a bad wind. Not fit for man or beast outside.....I would love to put some names to the beast comment but will refrain because of the public forum in which I post.

I have been working on my Intro to Computers class. I start my official teaching career Monday night. I really want the first night to go smooth. I imagine I will spend a bit of time on Sunday working on things. The orientation is Saturday and I really want to wait until I get the instructors books before I start putting together the instructional presentations. I don't want to recreate the wheel so to speak. I find myself thinking of things I never thought about from a students perspective. Here are a few of those thoughts:

  • For me to be able to teach and in turn, make money, I need students to enroll in class. I want to make the class worth while but if I make it too much work or too hard, I think students will not be interested in taking it. If numbers are small or zero, I lose my job.

  • The students have a fundamental knowledge of what I am going to teach, so how do I cover the material without it becoming a snoozefest?

  • I really want to do a good job but as with my day job, I can put everything I have into this and nobody will really notice or care. There really is no evaluation process. Just a student feedback/evaluation form collected twice a semester. What the students think is important to my future.

Oh well. Things will just work out as they normally do. Somehow things just seem to work out for the most part in life. We have our small victories and setback but life just keeps pushing forward.

Off to start my day.