Thursday, May 1, 2008

Iowans consume less wine per capita than any other state in the nation.

I think I made it through the crappy part of my week.....how about me!

The weather is going to be good today. The rain is going to hold off until late tonight or tomorrow so the track meet should be a go. I hope I don't get shot!

The adjunct party last night was pretty nice. I kind of hung out with one of the guys that is on the adjunct counsel with me and he was in charge of pouring the wine. What was cool about it was that he knew quite a bit about wine. He was telling be about brands and why Iowa wine is sweeter than the California wine, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I asked him how he knew so much about wine and he said he dated a girl from Italy that was really into wine. I think maybe her parents had a vineyard or something but he said he learned most of the stuff from her.

I also asked him what he does during the day and he said "nothing". He is in between his Masters degree and his PHD and is using the nights to teach so he can pay his bills. He was an interesting person.

So they had name cards on the tables so we didn't just sit where we wanted. I was put with two women. One was a computer teacher like me and the other was a full time English Lit instructor. They seemed nice. I think when you teach the day classes you have a completely different experience than teaching at night. The students during the day are usually full time students. Night students are usually working adults. A much different set of issues with day students.

One of the adjuncts is a published poet and she read some of her poetry for the group. It was not my cup of tea but I found some of her words, and analogies to be very interesting. For example, she wrote about her first time teaching a group of college students and how she was washed with the feelings you get in that position. I can tell you from experience that fear is one of those emotions. Anyway, she said she was working so hard to get them to learn what she could share from her professional experience and they would just sit and look at her in a glazed over type trance.

In her poem she wrote about that experience and these words stuck with me. "I am the sacrifice to your alter of apathy." I can't tell you how that line hit me as so true. I think parents can feel this emotion at times as well. Her name is Victoria Smith and she is a business law instructor. She is an well established attorney in Des Moines.

We also had another speaker he was more funny but also said something that kind of stuck with me. He said "Experience is the harshed of instructors. She gives the test first and the lessons are learned after." I thought it rang true. Of course I had already consume three glasses of wine at this point so what the hell do I know.

Tonight Jess has her track meet. Drew has one tomorrow, weather permitting and then Jess goes to prom on Saturday.

Monday is the conference track meet. I think the weather is supposed to be good for that day.

Ok, enough of my ramblings today. I have to get the trash out for the ladies to pickup.