Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Maybe Mother Natured died and was succeeded by her mean sister

We are in a freeze advisory this morning. What the HELL is that all about? Freezing! Give me a break.

Drew ran in a track meet last night. He did the high jump, the open 100 and the 4x100. Since he is not the speediest fellow in the land, I told him he needs to shoot for personal bests and improve each time and use this time for conditioning for summer and fall sports. He doesn't really like to lose but I think he just likes participating for the most part.

He has another track meet tonight and one on Friday.

Jess ran at her track meet last night. She got 2nd in the long jump, I think she jumped 15 ft even. 1st in the 400, 1st in the 800 and 1st in the sprint med. Three golds and a silver. No too bad since they were running against Des Moines East and Des Moines North high schools as well as Saydel. Her next meet is Thursday.

Last night was the last night of my Monday night DMACC class. The final test took them a lot longer than I thought it would. It took most of them 3 hours and a couple of them 4. It is a long night sitting there at the computer for 4 hours. All I have to do now is grade the finals and enter the grades into the system.

I have learned a great deal from this experience and will do things differently next term. I will be much more organized and efficient next term since I have already taught the class once. It will really be easy if they use the same books.

I have some pictures to put up but it probably won't happen until this weekend. I was pretty good at taking pictures but have gotten lazy lately. One of my favorite things of the blog is to look back at the pictures. I need to do a better job of putting more up.

I have to say one more thing about this damn weather. Last weekend, I saw people out mowing their lawn in WINTER COATS!!!! This completely sucks!

I have a busy day today with proctoring tests this morning and a meeting in Ames this afternoon. I really am not in the mood to drive to Ames but it probably will be good to get out of the office for half a day.

So I started reading this book called "Into the Wild" maybe it is Wilderness, I am not sure and I am not going to check so whatever. Anyway, it is about a young guy from the west coast who leaves all his belongings and heads up to Alaska to live off the land for a couple of years. So I am on the hopper this morning thinking this is going to be some kind of inspirational story about survival and the struggle against nature. Well I think he died! Within the first 30 pages they find his body. Apparently starved to death. Good thing I was where I was when I read that.

Ok, off to start my day.