Friday, March 14, 2008

Am I figuratively or literally limping to the weekend?.......BOTH!

What do you know......I made it to Friday.

The journey was long and arduous but I made it. Last night was a very long class. The group is not the fastest of learners and the one student that doesn't speak English really struggles. The lady in charge of their group came in to help her last night but she still ended up crying in frustration. She just doesn't know how to keyboard and when she had to type a paragraph it just about did her in. I felt bad because she really wants to learn and wants to learn in English but I think this was a bit much at one time for her.

I have a great deal of respect for her and other people like her in our community. I think on the news you see the bad side of the hispanic community. The ones on government programs and just getting over on the system so they send their money back to Mexico. There is another story that is seldom told. We see it unfold at the school from time to time because we have adult education classes. Some of our Hispanic residents work 8 to 10 hours a day at the meat packing plant and then spend their evenings going to classes to learn English and take citizen classes.

They come to class and you can see the weight of the day in their eyes but they never miss a class. They push themselves to the limit of frustration in an attempt to learn English and become a productive member of the community.

I know the lady in my class was frustrated and in tear but I honestly feel she will end up fine. She really is on the right track and even though she was frustrated and upset, she never left. She stayed the whole three hours and I have no doubt that if we have more classes, she will be there.

Jess has been grouchy lately because they are making her run 800's in track. In the first track meet she isn't running the open 400, which she has the school record in. Instead they have her running the open 800 and a relay. She is a bit frustrated but we will wait to see what happens when they get to the outdoor meets before it really is an issue. The indoor meets are more like pre-season than real meets and the coaches just try to get everyone in an event.

The 800's will be good for her. I will only have an issue with it if they don't let her run the open 400 this year. To me that would be asinine.

Drew had his first track practice last night and they didn't have enough warm-up sweats for everyone so Drew gave his bottoms to another boy who doesn't have sweat pants at home. I thought that was nice of him.

We have a baseball meeting tonight. The season is just around the corner.

I am about at the end of my rope at work. This week has been unbelieveable busy and I have felt like I have been pulled about 100 different directions. There have been times that I honestly did not have 5 minutes without someone needing something or calling me about an issue. Between meetings and issues, I am really looking forward to the break.

It is great that it is Friday and Spring break begins on Monday. I have a 9 am meeting and then nothing else on my calendar for the rest of the day. (Except the baseball meeting tonight).

I am hoping to have a less stressful day today.

Off to see!