Thursday, February 14, 2008

Have a heart....be someone's Valentine!

I have to admit, I am a little tired this morning. Teaching class last night and then not getting to sleep until around 11 is rough for a morning person. The coffee is strong today and it reminds me of how I feel on Monday mornings. The good news is, I am done with teaching for the week and have nothing going on the next couple of nights.


Drew is still sick. When I got home last night he was still sleeping on the sofa. He has done nothing but sleep the last couple of days. He still has a fever but has been drinking fluids. He really hasn't eaten anything for awhile so hopefully he will be able to get something down today.


The basketball season is over for Jess. They lost by 10 last night but gave it a valiant effort. They were down by 22 at the end of the third quarter and cut the lead to 10 by the end. Jess only scored four points but she said thought she played good defense and had a bunch of rebounds. The local radio station didn't cover the game. They went to the state wrestling tournement where we had two boys wrestling. They both lost.


Jess was asked to the sweetheart dance tomorrow night. She is pretty excited to go. They are going to Des Moines tonight to get a dress. Saturday we have the volleyball tournament. The team plays at 4, 6 and 8 pm Saturday but has to be there at 2 because the officiate the game at 3. It sure beats having to be there at 8 am like some of the teams.


So I was pretty disgusted with the gabage situation here in Perry and I am also disgusted with the snow ordinance as well, but as the week went on, there has been so much to be disgusted about that trash day doesn't even have me worked up today. It has been kind of like sensory over load but with disgust. A sense of apathy has set in and to be honest, I feel much better. I now can relate to Nero when he fiddled while Rome burned. Sometimes you just have to sit back and watch the train wreck. Today I feel no obligation to make things right or to stand up for the wronged. It is kind of a sureal, out of body feeling that isn't so bad.


I think there is a saying or a quote, I am not sure who to cite, but it goes something like: "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."


I am not really up against evil but today I choose to do nothing.


I have a meeting this morning and then nothing on my calendar for the rest of the week. It is kind of strange to not have a game to go to or an event of some kind to attend. Jess and Drew don't even have practice the next couple of days.


Valentines day and Anthony's birthday. The streets of Lincoln will never be the same.


I am not sure if I mentioned that I wrote the Governor a couple of weeks ago. I recieved a response back last week. I will share that story with you another time.


Happy Valentines Day!