Thursday, January 10, 2008

I really don't need a migraine today!

The school board/director retreat went ok last night. We did a personality test and the group was asked what "color" they thought each of us were. Everyone got me right!

To sum thing up, we did the personality exercise, ate dinner (which was actually pretty good. I was expecting sandwiches but we had lasagna, corn, cole slaw, dinner role w/butter, and a piece of pie with whipped cream.) and worked on the district mission statement and goals. Here are the four goals we selected for the next year to work on.

* Academic achievement (of course)
* pk-12 character/citizenship education program
* Staff development for "all" staff members
* Fiscal stability (This was actually #1 in our vote)

Like I said it was ok. We were at it from 4 until a little after 8. We also re-wrote the district mission statement and that took most of the time. You would be amazed at how much time it took to debate over whether we should us the word "develop" or "help". EVERYONE had an opinion on that one.

We had some sad news this week. Nancy's mom was diagnosed with colon cancer. With her dad in a wheelchair and unable to completely care for himself this is not only a scary issue to face for her mom but the concern about her dad is another consideration. When Nancy came to work on Tuesday she wasn't the Nancy that I had ever seen before. She was so distracted with the news she recieved the night before it was like she was in a trance. I could see the flicker of her normal self from time to time with a little smile or a look but she was going through a lot and I could tell she was going through things in her mind most of the day.

I bought her 4 king sized Snickers in an attempt to make her feel a bit better. I know it wasn't much but it was all I could really think of to do. I will do what I can to help her through this difficult time. I don't know her mom but if she is anything like Nancy, she is a wonderful mother and person. Keep Nancy and her mom in your prayers.

MOM----STAY HEALTHY!!!!!

I have a woman that works for me at the high school and her son is having open heart surgery today. He is 25 and it is kind of a long story but she is gone for the rest of the week and will be taking a lot of time off in the next month or so.

In other news: Drew has a game tonight. He plays in Saydel at 4. I won't go to the game but he is looking forward to playing. They haven't had a game since before Christmas break.

Tonight is the first night, in what seems to be an eternity, that I will be home at 5 and be able to make dinner, relax and watch some TV. It was last Thursday that I was home before 8:00 at night. I am looking forward to it tonight.

TRASH DAY TODAY.....Filthy bastards!