Wednesday, January 9, 2008

50% Irish - 50% Bohemian, warm heart and a wonderful mom!

The girls won their first basketball game last night!!!!!!

Jess had 12 points which tied the team high. It was a good game for the girls last night. They played pretty well and did a nice job of playing like a team. They still have a long way to go but at least the monkey is off of their back. They won't go the whole season without a win.

Drew has a game Thursday and then Jess has games Friday and Saturday.

Today my blog is dedicate to my mom. It is her birthday today and I want to take some time to recognize how special she is.

The relationship between a mother and son is very special. Men are tough and rugged. They fight and wrestle, watch football and action movies. They seldom cry and hardly ever show emotions in public. It is in their nature and that is the way things are; but if you see a man and his mother, you will see a side of him that is rarly displayed. Men, as I see it, hold three things in their lives dear. Their children, their spouse and their mothers. Relationships go sour and chilren move on but we hold our mother always dear to our heart.

When I was a boy and I scraped my knee, it was mom who would hug me and make it all better. When I was lonely and had nothing to do, mom would play the piano and we would sing. As a teen with girl problems, mom was always their to reassure me. In college, mom was supportive and understanding when I came home with a bag of dirty laundy and a tendency to raid the fridge on my way back.

I know her life was full of worry when I was living at home and probably still is from time to time. There probably isn't such a thing as a "perfect son" and even if there were, I would have been far from it, yet my mom stayed with me through it all. She listens and cares. My life is all over the place most of the time. It is an existence that is far from perfect but if I ever need a lifeline to sanity, I pickup the phone and give mom a call. Usually about nothing in paticular but always a sense of comfort and support.

Mom, I love ya and want you to know you mean more to me than you could even know. We share the same sense of humor and are similar in many ways. I don't get to see you much but I think of you often. You are a very special person and I am not sure what I would do if I didn't have you "a call away".

I hope you have a great day today and many more birthdays to come.

Happy birthday!