Monday, December 3, 2007

Don't talk to me, it's Monday

It's Monday and 9 degrees outside. What a way to start a week.

We had a pretty good ice storm on Saturday. The state was in pretty much of a do not travel mode. The kids and I stayed in all day. We cooked and watched TV. It was actually pretty nice even though the kids said they were board.

The beauty of a day like that is I did some work around the house in the morning but when I went to take a nap; I really had no guilt. Usually, I feel guilty that I should be doing something else and taking a nap makes me feel lazy. I should note at this point that the guilt rarely stops me from taking naps but I do feel guilty about it. No such concern on Saturday.

Friday night, Jess had a game and they lost by two. It was kind of a shame because they played a pretty good game. They have way to many turn overs and not a lot of defensive tenacity. They were down by two with 10 seconds left. The coach calls a timeout and draws up the play. The come out of the timeout. Jess is throwing the ball in bounds to the point guard. They are supposed to get it in, set a pick for the shooter, make the pass and get a shot up. So Jess gets the ball in, the point guard takes two steps, picks up the ball, and then dribbles again. DOUBLE DRIBBLE, game over! The girl is a senior and should not have made that kind of mistake.

I got a letter in the mail Saturday from Des Moines Area Community College, and they are inviting me to a metor-mentee meeting on the 18th that is required for all new instructors!! I got the job! It looks like I will be teaching college classes in January. How cool is that?

Since the weather was marginal all weekend I watched a lot of tv. I guess I normally watch a lot of TV on the weekends regardless of the weather it just made me feel better to justify it this weekend. Anyway, it was kind of a unexplained tv theme. I watched a few episodes of "A Haunting" and a show on the History channel called "Monster Hunters". They were looking for Big Foot. I got to thinking that it is easy for people to believe in dark or scary things but people tend to me more sceptical of good or positive things. Here is an example: If I told people that I had a ghost in my house the was a demon or something, there would be a pretty good number of people who would believe it. Now if I said I had and Angel talking to me, that was helping me through life, people would think I was a nut! I think people tend to believe things that scare us more than things that do not.

I told Drew I like this sort of thing and like to believe because it makes life a bit more interesting. Life with Big Foot, the Lochness Monster, Spirits and UFO's makes this an iteresting place. As long as you don't go overboard and become obsessed with these things, what's the harm?

Hey mom, I am reading Dean Koontz, "Brother Odd". An Odd Thomas story. It is funny that his is haunted by Elvis' spirit.

Not sure of the game schedule for this kids this week. I think they both have games Tuesday but not sure where. I know there is a girls JV game tonight. I am not sure if the coach will have Jess play. It would be good for her to get to play but I doubt he lets her.

More tomorrow.