Friday, November 9, 2007

A little boy came into my office yesterday and farted!

I have made it to Friday. The weather is supposed to be good and it should be a pretty good day.

Tomorrow I need to get some yard work done. The Huskers play on TV 11:30ish so I will try to get to after the game. It is the last home game for the under achieving group and as we count down the last couple games of the season it is kind of like watching a suffering patient slip into eternal rest. Sad, but in a way a relief!

The practice rotation continues today. Drew getting up early and going to practice at 6 AM and Jess having practice and not getting home until almost 7 PM. The coach loves the long practices. They didn't have many girls go out this year to begin with and we aren't even through the first week of practice and they are down to 15 girls. That is everyone, Freshman, JV and Varsity combined is a total of 15 girls. The numbers are down so low that the AD has cancelled all Freshmen games and are going to try to play 5 or 6 quarters of JV. It is a sad sign of the times here in Perry.

On the other hand, Drew said there were 27 boys out for 7th grade boys basketball. That is a pretty big group. There are quite a few athletic boys in the 7th and 8th grade right now so the boys program should do pretty well in the future. I guess we will see if they stay out.

One of the benefits of working at the school is that I get into all the games free. I was also given a conference pass from our AD so I get into all the away games free as well. It really saves a lot of money because I think it is $5 per person to get into games now. In basketball alone they have around 20 games so if Dawn and I both went to each game and had to pay it would be a couple hundred dollars, without any concession expenses. Over the course of a year, with volleyball, basketball, track and softball, we probably save over $500 by me working at the school.

The cost of kids in sports is expensive. You go to a game, so you have gas cost. You have admission cost and you have concessions even if it is just a drink. I suppose you could cut out the concessions if you had to but to go to a game, you could easily spend $15 or more. Multiply that by the number of games in a season for all sports and WOW! Not to mention sports shoes, and water and snacks for the kids when they are playing. They leave right after school and don't get home until after 9 most times so they need something to eat and they have to have water for the game. Add it all up and it is a wonder I feel like there is a hole in my wallet.

It seems like I have been complaining a lot lately and I am now done with that. Starting.......(imagine me with my finger in the air and dropping it down) ....NOW!

Life is too short to focus on the negatives. Time to be positive and happy. It is a nice Friday after all.

Have a great weekend.

GBR (For those of you who don't know, that means GO BIG RED!)