Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I am looking down the highway and still don't see Friday!

The cold winds of winter are blowing and we aren't even to December yet. It is 22 degrees outside and this is going to be as good as it gets today. For some reason the turning of the weather isn't bothering me too much. I have a good coat and the cold air is sometime refreshing if you take a chance to appreciate it. Most days we hurry from building to car, car to building to get out of the cold. If you take the time to look around and appreciate this time of year, you might be suprised.

Yes, it is cold but the air is clean and fresh, the sky is typically very blue and clear when it is cold and the sun shines just as bright as it does in the summer but doesn't seem so harsh. The wind is the problem. It is hard to appreciate the cold Fall days when the wind is kicking you in the face.

Both kids have games tonight. Drew plays at 4:15 and Jess at 7 or 7:30. It depends on the JV game. There has been a bit of a shake up on the varsity team last night. A couple of the girls that started the varsity game last week are suiting JV tonight. Jess is still starting on the varsity team so it will be a chance for me to get to see her play. I hope they do well.

We have been getting information from Jess's volleyball club that they are going to Denver in March. The rooms have to be booked this week so it is kind of a flurry of information and deadlines. The teams have booked 60 rooms and need to know who is going and get them reserved so they aren't stuck with unused rooms. I think they are looking into taking a charter bus to Denver. I hope they do so it saves on the cost of the trip. It is already three days in a hotel plus food and travel.

I am not sure if I am going to put up Christmas lights this year. If there is a good weather day on a weekend I might get it done but if the weather is cold and icky, I don't think I will bother. It actually is kind of fun putting up lights and I do enjoy them but it is kind of depressing taking them down. The Christmas season is an rollercoaster of emotions anyway. The eager anticipation of the holidays. The music, the festivities, the food, the presents. Is a fun and pleasant time. Then comes the crash! The holidays end, the food is gone, you have to go back to the daily grind of work feeling broke and fat! You have the damn tree and lights to take down.

It is kind of like saying, "Alright, party time over. Get this mess cleaned up and get back to life!". Ugh!

There should be some kind of holiday at the end of January. Something to look forward too after the holidays. Super bowl Sunday doesn't count. Still a Sunday and not a day offf work! We need a holiday that would be a distraction from the cold and the Christmas hangover. In Alaska they had 4th of July fireworks in January. Since July in Alaska did not have night, they can't shoot off firework so they shoot them off in January and have a winter celebration. It was kind of a cool thing. Ice scuplture contests, ice bowling, games kind of like a carnival, and of course the fireworks.

Enough rambling. Off to start my day.

One last thing. I am not sure why God thought is would be funny to have hair grow in a mans ear when they get older. The top of my head is a baren wasteland in which hair just cannot grow. My ears on the other hand seem to be a great for new growth.