Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What's a mid-life crisis like?

It seems that I have gone from going 100 MPH to leveling off and I seem to be missing the adrenaline rush of the last 4 weeks. I really hated the overwhelming feeling that I was getting when we had so much to do and very little time to get it done. They weeks of not having a day off really weighed on me and it was getting pretty tough but now it seems like I am at a plateau and it feels kind of hollow. I feel like I just got over the top of a big hill and instead of coasting downhill, it just flattened out.

Don't get me wrong we still have a lot of work to get done but it is not like it was before. The adrenaline is not pumping and there is not so much of a sense of urgency. It kind of reminds me of going to a college football game. You get up in the morning, usually early, all excited and ready to go. You get your tailgating stuff together, go to the tailgate party, live it up. Go to the game and cheer your heart out. At the end of the day, your drive home seems like a drag. Another example is the day after Christmas that you have to go to work. Kind of a let down.

On other notes: Drew is really enjoying football. He seems to thrive in the misery of the heat and pads and dirt. I hope he does well becuase he really enjoys the game. The Jr. High team doesn't have a game for another week.

Jess has a volleyball match tonight. They are in their first mini tournament of the HS season. She is having an up and down start to the year. Girl dramas! I wish girls were better to eachother. Guys don't have to go through the kind of crap girls do. Another reason I am glad to be a male!

Here is a little tid bit of knowledge for ya.
- It you ever want to see the worst in people. Work tech support. You see it all. Stupidity, Anger, Frustration, Anguish, Envy. People swear, are antagonistic, demeaning and condesending. I find it hard because we support 300 staff members and over 1800 students and eventually everyone treats you poorly. If you were to work with a group of people of that size you would normally just know who most of the were and only have daily close interaction with just a few. We get the mother load and in most cases under unpleasant circumstances. We have a excellent success rate of helping people but it is hard to like someone when they walk in or call and treat you poorly. Over the course of time, the people you actually like and respect dwindle to just a few.

I want to like people and want people to like me but as time goes on we eventually see everyone at their worst. I think tech people tend to stick together for that reason.

More tomorrow!