Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Couldn't the government as least buy me dinner first?

The grinding season of losses is taking its toll on the goose. The team lost again last night and she played pretty well. She only scored 4 points but had a bunch of assists, made good passes and played solid defense. It was not a game she should have been upset about.

She comes home last night in tears. I think it was several things at once. The loss, geometry and her coach having high expectations of her and she feels the pressure. Anyway she was a bit upset last night but I talked to her for awhile and she seemed to be ok. The life of a high school athelete can be difficult ...................being an adult can suck too.

Drew went to the game and hung out with his friends. I think he likes going to the high school games almost more than playing in his own games. He gets to sit in the stands, talk, eat pizza and popcorn, drink soda..........For Drew life is good.

It looks like we are going to be getting some snow here today and tomorrow. 5 inches or so is what the lying bastards predict. I guess we will see.

So the governor of Iowa wants to raise the can/bottle deposit from 5 cents to 10 cents. Which sucks to begin with but here is the real kicker......when you take your can/bottle back to the recycle center, you only get 8 cents back. One penny goes to the state for roads or something, and the other goes to the stores that collect the cans. WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT??? Sounds like a tax to me. Buy a case of soda a pay $2.40 extra for deposit!!!

I don't think it is popular enough to pass but the thought of that additional expense, (in the words of the goose) ticks me off. Between the state government looking to screw us and the city government and their candy ass garbage men trying to screw us, life here in Iowa appears to be getting a bit less pleasant. Can't they just leave us poor citizens alone? Seems like our job is to feed the machine. (Picture me in a hypnotice trance, chanting:) "Must serve the government, Must serve the government, Must serve the government." Whatever!

Hump day is upon us and I have a couple of meetings this morning. By lunch time it should be clear sailing for the day and I just have to wait to see how much snow I have to shovel. I think we are going to get some this afternoon and then the bulk of it later today and into tonight. Maybe we will have a late start at school tomorrow or better yet, a early out today AND a late start tomorrow. One can always hope!

Off to start!