Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Wednesday - I am thankful for Drew and Jessica

This is a great Wednesday! School is closed and there will be very few of us that have to work today. Mostly just me, Nancy and the janitors. I used to call them custodians but they piss me off so now they are back to janitors. For some reason, janitor seems more derogatory so that is the title I choose to use. The bastards!

Both Perry basketball teams got their asses kicked last night. Drew's team lost 60 something to 9 and Jessica's team lost 54-20. Drew's team is going to get hammered a lot this season. They are slow, don't know the offense well and just don't have a point gaurd to get the ball down the court and challenge a defense.

Jess started varsity last night and actually had more playing time than any other girl on the team. She came out twice for about a minute each time. She scored 5 points and had a nice drive from the top of the key for a left handed layup. Not bad scoring 5 points when the team only had 20. On the bright side, the team they lost to last night had 9 returning seniors and 8 juniors and are projected to go to state in their conference. Turnovers killed the girls last night. They had 20 some. The game was broadcast on the Internet so I was able to listen.

I haven't talked to Jess yet but there is a note here saying she needs up by 6:45 so I am guessing they are having an early morning practice. The three things that they will have to work on to be competitive is rebounding, I am not sure if they got more than a few offensive rebounds, protecting the ball - way too many turnovers, and getting agressive offensively. They need a scorer. I don't think Jess can be the big scorer on the team yet. She may be good for 8 -12 points a game but I don't think she is quite developed enough to be the main offensive threat. They have 4 seniors, three juniors and her as the main players. We will see how the season goes.

It is kind of cool she started and played so much. Ten to one, when I wake her up this morning she is in a foul mood. A big loss and an early morning practice on a day off from school. I will take a helmet and body armor with me when I wake her.

Drew played well last night. He played as much as anyone and I am glad the coach is putting everyone in for playing time. They probably wont be very competitive this year so they might as well get experience.

I don't have much on the agenda at work today. I have some work to do on our student infomation system but it is the end of the trimester and they are going to run report cards this weekend so the teachers are entering grades. Not a good time to down the system.

I do have a bit to do for state reporting but I am not sure anyone will be around to get me the info I need. Oh well, it will be nice to have a slow day.

The kids are excited to go to Nebraska tomorrow. I got the oil changed in my car and will fill up with gas today. The heater doesn't seem to be working right and that may be an issue. Better bring plenty of blankets...lol

Off to start my day. I won't have a post again until after the break so I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Be safe!

More on Monday.