Tuesday, November 13, 2007

That Christmas tree is blocking my view of the Thanksgiving turkey

Tuesday is here and it is significate to note that this may be the turning point of the fall weather. It is going to be in the upper 60's today and this is going to be a last hurrah from what the lying weather people say. Highs are going to be in the 40's and the shift towards winter will begin.

I always have mixed emotions about this time of year. Common sense tells me to use this last bit of good weather to get my Christmas lights out. On the other hand (You can picture me talking to myself like Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof) I hate to get Christmas in front of Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving and feel it cheapens it a bit by doing Christmas early.

Jessica had her club volleyball meeting last night. We were late of course. The HS basketball practice ran long and then he wanted to hand out their uniforms last night so it pushed us even later. It only take about 30 minutes to get to Ankeny so it wasn't too bad. We were 45 minutes late but Jess met the other girls and they talked about the season. The coach is really nice and she us very understanding of what Jess has to go through with the other sports she plays. They start practicing after Thanksgiving.

There are two girls on the team that live about an hour from Ankeny so they drive a long way to practice. Another girl lives almost an hour and a half away so she is really driving a long way.

They ended up forming two teams. A maroon and a white squad. The maroon is the "A" team and the white is the "B" team. Jess is on the maroon team. It was kind of wierd seeing her in maroon colors. It reminded me of the good old Exeter Eagles days.

Drew is now back to afternoon practices. He made the "A" team for the 7th grad basketball team. There are three teams, A, B, and C. They play against other town's A, B, and C teams. Drew is happy to be on the A team. I am not sure if he starts or not but they have a game next week at home so I will find out then.

Jess has a game tonight and it is away. It is in a town called Alleman, I have no idea where that is. I think the basketball team is going to be weak this year. The one thing about basktball that is different than the other sports is that you have girls that only play basketball and they think they are just awesome and there are a lot of egos. The one thing about our girls right now is they have talent but the reason the are bad is they don't have chemistry. A bunch of individuals not a team.

The tech support person that works for me at the elmentary, Nancy Sawyer, her son was hit by a car last night while he was out jogging. She rushed to KC last night to see him in the hospital. He has two broken legs and his spleen is bleeding. Doesn't sound good but I am sure she will let me know when she finds out more. I am not sure how long she will be gone but I would think it would be the rest of the week.

Things like this remind me of how life can change with the blink of an eye. Knock on wood we are all safe as the holiday season approaches.

Oh! I made casadillas last night for dinner. They were wonderful!

Off to start my day.