Thursday, August 2, 2007

Have ya ever had 300 people pissed at ya?

Well, the whole mail server thing did not go well. We ended up having to rebuild it from scratch on a new server. We lost all mail, contacts, and calendar events. We have the ability to get some of it back for some of our users depending on the version of Outlook they were using but in technology terms this was a sunomi.

Here is the issue. When we put the system in we had a meeting with all the administration team to discuss if we wanted to back this server up or not. The reason we were hesitant to back it up is that schools are a public entity and as a public entity our records can be made public by the court at the request of a citizen. Most of our administration and our Superintedend did not want historical record to come and bite them down the road. The concer was that some things could be taken out of context and make the district look bad, not to mention some of the stuff the staff my send or recieve in email could really make us look bad.

The decision was made, by majority, to not back up this server. All other servers in the district are backed up regularly.

I have told people for years not to save important stuff to that server becuase we don't back it up. As a matter of fact, on Monday our tranportation director wanted to have his mailbox size increased. I told him No and he needed to get important stuff out of the mail system because we don't back it up and one day, the system would crash and he would be in my office crying like a baby.

The next day the damn sever crashed.

We have registration on Monday. I am kind of looking forward to it. I think more of just to get it done.

I swear I have two months worth of work to do and about two weeks to get it done. My office is a mess, more like a disaster and I will spend most of today helping people get their email software up and running again. It really should be awesome having to talk to each one of them face to face, listening to them complain while I am getting them up and running.

Tomorrow we will be setting up for registration and I have some software work to get finished before Monday.

I golf tonight. I am sure it will be ugly because my mind is elsewhere. I would get drunk but I have too much to do this week.

Kids called me last night. They are having a great time and loved the Falls. Today they are going to some amusement park in Pensylvania. Hell I am not even sure how to spell Pensylvania. The should be back Saturday sometime.

Have you ever screamed inside your head? It kind of hurts!

More Rich saga tomorrow.