Monday, August 17, 2009

We all live in our own personal "wild"

It has been rainy most of the weekend but it stopped long enough for us to play in the golf tournament on Saturday.

Jess and I played and we did the usual, not very good. We did have some good holes and others that were not so good. The best thing of the day was our attitude. We really didn't get upset about how we played. It was the last time for us to play so I wanted to just enjoy the time with her. I am going to miss her when she goes off to college.

Drew went to the state fair and he said he had a good time. He went down with friend. They spent most of their time on the rides. He did get a foot long corn dog and a smoothy, which he threw up later going on spinny rides.

I told him, he really got his money worth because he got to taste it twice. He said it wasn't very good the second time. He cracks me up.

Yesterday, I worked until two. Jess and Dawn went to Des Moines and had lunch with some of the club volleyball team girls and their moms. Drew hung out with one of his friends.

When I got home I watched a show called "Black Gold". It is kind of a reality show about roughneck crews working on oil rigs. They had a whole season marathon so I watched them all. Well most of them anyway. I am a sucker for marathon reality shows. They get a hook in me and I just can't stop.

The kids came home and asked what I was watching. When I told them it was a marathon, they just shook their heads and said "Dad!".

The teaching staff start back up on Wednesday so I have a couple days of freedom left. Most have been back already but they don't officially start until Wednesday. Summer is almost over. The good news is football season will be underway shortly. It makes things a bit more bearable.

I watched a movie this weekend called "Into the Wild". I read the book but wanted to see the movie. It is about a guy who graduates from college and then just goes off and drifts. He takes no money and tears up all of his identity. He just lives in the wild and then eventually goes to Alaska.

The story is pretty good but it gives you a fresh look at what freedom really is. Not something I would want to do but how he lived was truly free.

Ok, enough rambling for today. Off to start.