Tuesday, December 18, 2007

There is a great deal of apathy in the world and I don't care.

I will be happy when the Iowa caucus is over. The campaigns are just really in a frenzy right now. I get calls every night from the various candidates and it is getting old very fast. Well, I am not getting calls from the candidates themselves; it is someone from the "insert name here" campaign. Blah Blah Blah.

It is important to also note that I am not a fan of the caucus system. It seems to be a bit of a pain in the butt. For those of you unfamiliar with the process here in Iowa, let me share. Each precinct has a meeting area. I think mine is at the high school. Anyway, all the Democrats, since that is what pertains to me, meet at this location. There is some talk and a few speeches, then they say, "Everyone who supports "insert name here", go the that corner. They do this for each candidate, seperating everyone into areas of the room by candidate. The people who don't have very many are talked into joining one of the larger groups. In the end, the number of electorals are divide among the groups remaining. There is some other stuff that goes on after that but I will leave at this point.

Doesn't that seem a bit much? I would much rather stop by a voting area, cast my vote and be done with it. I know people like to hold on to tradition and such but it seems to me that the more unpleasant it is, and this to me is unpleasant, the less people will participate. I think if they truly want people to turn out, they hold a normal primary.

Both kids have games tonight. I have my orientation at 4:30 in West Des Moines so I will miss both games. Jess will have a game of Thursday in Jefferson that I will be able to attend.

One of the girls on the basketball team, quit last night. There is another one on the fence and is waiting to see how much playing time they get tonight to decide if they are going to quit or not. They are both seniors but won't be much of an impact on the team.

One of Jess's friend's, mother passed away unexpectedly the other day. The boy is in Jess's class and in FCA with her and is with the group of kids she hangs out with. She went with one of her friends to visitation last night and they sat and talked with him for about an hour. It was hard for her but she said he was very happy they came. She thought he just needed some people there to talk with. He is holding up ok but she said she knows it has to be really hard for him. His mom was 55 and his dad came home and she was laying on the couch, not breathing. They aren't sure what the cause of death was.

We are continuing the countdown to Christmas break. Three days left and I think the teachers are kind of just passing time until Friday. Drew said they are watching movies today in class and tomorrow they are going to the rec center and the museum here in town. Thurday they have an assembly. This is all good news to me because it doesn't sound like they are doing anything that requires technology support.

JoDee - if you are reading this, know that I have been thinking about you and love you.