Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Would life be easier if I were wealthy?

Drew and Jess both have game today in Saydel. I plan on going but as I look at my calendar I have a meeting at 3:30. Drew's game starts at 4:15 and Saydel is about 45 minutes away. I am going to see if I can move the meeting up and get out in time to see the game.

You know, I really hate meetings! I know they are, for the most part, productive but you never know that going in. It is like seeing what is behind door number 3. Crap shoot. This meeting today is an important one. The district is considering purchasing a laptop for a special needs student. There are a whole list of concerns I have and logistic problems that I see with how they want to use it.

I think, at times in education, people see things on paper or think things should work a certain way, in theory. With what I do, there is very little "theory". If it doesn't work, people know! If it should work but doesn't, I can look like an idiot! In other areas of education that is not the case. They can implement a program that requires many resources with little or no follow up to the real impact. There is no plan if it fails becuase there is no solid definition of FAIL for such programs. I think that is why I have conflict with the principals at times. I have to deal with fact - it work or it doesn't - I succeeded or I failed. There is no "theoretical victory". The principals live in that kind of world.

We could spend years on a new staff development program for teachers. Did it have an impact? Maybe. Do we see scores increase? Maybe or maybe not but can we tie that to the change in staff development? Not necessarily. Ugh!

Enough of my rants!

The weather today is warm. Currently in the 70's and I think we are supposed to get rain and storms this afternoon into this evening. It may be a rainy football game.

I am still ticked off at the huskers for Saturday! Cosgrove - Smosgrove!

So in the title today I wonder if I would have an easier life if I was wealthy. I am not sure it would be easier but if you had the money to have a house on the beach and a yacht to go sailing on the ocean or money to go to the carribean, I think the other stuff can become less consuming. Sometime I think we all just want to get away, far away, from our troubles. Money could make that possible.

I need to start playing lotto!

More tomorrow.